Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bittersweet!!

There really is no better word to describe today! Today has its peaks and squeaks so to speak...as you read you'll be sure to tell the difference.

I took Denny to the clinic to get his 15 month booster shot. It wasn't till yesterday that Walter and I realized that I missed Denny's appointment for immunization which was for April 22nd and I had to reschedule it for today. I did my routine of getting Denny fed and cleaned up before we headed out. Denny seemed like he wasn't hungry at that point. Here is where it all began ...Luckily for us the clinic was just a few blocks away and within walking distance. So I decided to walk to the clinic and push Denny in his stroller. On the way I stopped for some breakfast for Denny and I because I knew that it would be a long wait at the clinic. When we arrived, followed the same procedure of weighing in and so on. When It was time to undress Denny and get weighed in,he threw a fit and had the clinic for himself...He let out a shriek to the top of his lungs and the way he cried you were sure to think someone had harmed him.. I was so embarrassed but I could understand that at his age he has what most toddlers have.."Separation anxiety." "Mommy to the rescue!!"not!...I could only try to comfort him and tell him it was alright and that"Mama is here"..meanwhile I would shrug and smile at the nurse and the many other patients with their babies, who stared at me like questionably like "What the Hill billy is wrong with your kid? At least that was what the awkward stares looked like to me.(Of course I'm no mind-reader) The nurse poked fun at Denny saying...Oh... he is miserable and she couldn't marry him!! I laughed it off and in his defense..(which I feel is responsible for his behavior..my goodness he is a baby) I explained that he was cranky, hungry and in an off mood. Why should I explain anyway right? He isn't the first kid to scream at a clinic...That doesn't make him a bad kid? He just point blank doesn't jump in strangers hand..which is good! The nurse also said with his lungs I need to put him in a choir....Well what do ya know!! That must be a trait from his Mama :) Truly, Denny even as a newborn ..when he cried..everyone around would think Someone was killing him..I remember .. a time we went to Walmart ..he was just a few weeks old and he was a lil gassy and the way he cried..."Evvvvvvveryone was looking at me.. So really this is going to take some getting use to but I'm on it.to get back to the day Denny weighed in at 23lbs an 76 inches long... He gained only about a pound since the last visit..I'm not surprised though because he is so active and he literally poops about 5 times a day!!! This boy must have the cleanest pipes around..lol!!


After that ordeal it was back to the waiting game...Meanwhile, we ate breakfast and then as the time drew on Denny and I just played peakaboo..( he calls it "pea-boo'..so cute) and snacked on his "Cheerios." A pleasant, friendly gentleman with his wife and 4month old baby, sat next to me and was so fascinated with Denny as I drilled him on his body parts to keep him busy. People kept asking Denny's age and saying how smart he was... I'm guessing they were thrilled to see him in action...It is fun to watch him learn and see the sense of accomplishment in his eyes when he does or says something. The gentleman carried on small chit -chat with me and that helped pass the time . Soon before we knew it , we were in the Doc's office. The did the routine check up stuff ask me safety questions...checking Denny's head circumference,....temperature..blah..blah and all in all he was in good shape.. Denny only got a lil fussy when it was time for the Doc to check him "Down there!" That's enough to make anybody fussy and nervous right? By the time it was over Denny was talking and smiling with the Doc and even told her"bubbye."


The defining moment arrived for Denny to get his shot....as he sat there in my lap camly..I followed the instruction the nurse gave and held his right arm taut as she injected the needle. Then she put on the bandage. It took about 3 secs for Denny to realize he got stick and as it penetrated deeper that was when he let out a wail.. My heart dropped..It is no fun watching your child in pain but I knew it was for his own good and it was quick. Denny cried for about ten secs..which was short in my book.. He is one tough cookie!! Good job Denny!!He tols the Nurse "bub-bye" and within a minute he was laughing... Such a sweetheart! If only we could all be that way..


When it was time to go, I strapped him in his stroller and we headed out.. About five minutes later..he was out of it.... That shot combined with his internal napping clock was a sure combination to get him.


When we got home.. the rest of the day ran rather smoothly. There where two highlights to my day...

1: Denny fell asleep on my stomach and it was then I realized my bittersweet moment. The sweetness was in that moment that he needed me for comfort and having him in that warm embrace made me realize that he wont be small forever. These though bring a bitter after-taste.. I wanted to get wrapped up in that moment forever. These are the moments that I live for!


2: Today I had a visit from my special friend and she spent some time with Denny and I...it was quite a nice surprise (not sure if I should mention her name but she knows who I'm talking about) Plus, I saw a beautiful rainbow in the sky ....it was unlike any rainbow I've ever saw. When I looked up , it was as if it formed a smile back at me. I cannot remember the last time I saw a rainbow. It didn't even rain today... but seeing it was quite refreshing and it reminded me of the Lord's promise to his children.


Denny offering me a cherrio.
Denny goofing around!


PLAYING PEAK-A-BOO!
Where's Denny?

There he is!!
BA-HA-HA!!

DENNY HAVING A FIT DURING HIS CHECKUP
DENNY JUST AFTER HIS SHOT
DENNY & I AFTER SEEING THE DOC

Tasted bitter and sweet but this was a special treat!
What a great way to end a day!


No comments:

Post a Comment